Student, Teacher, Translator
Andrew Youssef was born in Egypt where he grew up. After high school, Andrew attended McMaster University where he received his Bachelor degree in Religious Studies. He then continued his education at the Orthodox School of Theology, in Trinity College, Toronto, where he received his Masters of Theological Studies. His thesis was titled, “Humanity of Christ in Oriental Orthodox Christology.”
Andrew is currently working on his PhD at Trinity College focusing on the Christology of Severus of Antioch, a saint of the Oriental Orthodox Church, and Maximus the Confessor, a saint of the Eastern Orthodox Church.
In addition to theological education, Andrew is working on finishing his training to become a hospital chaplain/Spiritual Care provider. Currently, Andrew serves as a Spiritual Care Practitioner at multiple health care institutions.
Andrew serves in the following capacities:
• Russel, Norman. Deification in the Greek Patristic Tradition, Egypt: Epiphania Publishing Press, 2019. (Translation from
English to Arabic)
• Matthew the Poor. Ecumenism in the writings of Fr. Matthew the Poor, Egypt: St. Macarius Monastery, 2023. (Translation
from Arabic to English) (forthcoming)
• Youssef, Andrew. Father God or Mother Nature? From the Great Flood to COVID19: Amazon Publishing, 2020.
• Youssef, Andrew. Oriental Orthodoxy Unveiled: Agora University Press, 2022.
• American Academy of Religion. Stephanous, Andrea. Arabic Christian Theology, Egypt: Zondervan Academic, 2019.
• American Academy of Religion. Blanton, P. Gregg. Contemplation and Counseling: An Integrative Model for Practitioners,
United States: IVP Academic, 2019.
• American Academy of Religion. Binns, John. The T&T Clark History of Monasticism: The Eastern Tradition, London:
Bloomsbury Academic, 2019.
• Youssef, Andrew. “Veneration des saints et unite des chretiens: un regard copte,” ISTNA. Revue Trimestrielle, Volume 67,
No. 4, Octobre-Decembre 2022.
• Paper Presentation, “Severus of Antioch: Heresiarch or Hero?” Sheptytsky Institute – Toronto, November 20, 2018.
• Lecture, “Coptic Eucharistic Liturgy,” Trinity College, Toronto School of Theology – Toronto, March 18, 2019.
• Lecture, “Syriac Eucharistic Liturgy,” Trinity College, Toronto School of Theology – Toronto, March 25, 2019
• Lecture, “Oriental Orthodox Liturgy of the Hours” Trinity College, Toronto School of Theology – Toronto, October 7, 2019.
• Lecture Series, “Oriental Orthodox Fathers: From Chalcedon to Severus” Trinity College, Toronto School of Theology –
Toronto, October 5-9, 2020.
• Lecture, “Oriental Orthodox Ecumenism” St. Augustine Seminary – Toronto, October 17, 2020.
• Lecture, “Severus of Antioch: Terminological Developments” St. Cyril Coptic Orthodox Theological College – Australia, March
• Workshop, “One Incarnate Nature of God the Word: The (Un)intentionally Forgotten Christological Formula” Sheptytsky
Institute – Toronto, July 17, 2022.
• Paper Presentation, “Severus of Antioch: An Ascetic’s Approach to Ecumenism in the Sixth Century and its Implications for
Contemporary Ecumenical Relations” North American Academy for Ecumenists Annual Conference – New York, October 8,
• Paper Presentation, “Looking Toward the East: Making Orthodoxy Accessible to a Mulifaith World Thirsting for Spirituality”
International Orthodox Theological Association Annual Conference – Volos, Greece, January 11, 2023.
• Paper Presentation, “Shenouda of Atripe: A Coptic Ascetic’s Christology in the Dawn of the Chalcedonian Controversy” The
Canadian Society for Coptic Studies – Toronto, May 6, 2023.